Great news Padfone fans! If you live in Taiwan you can celebrate because starting tomorrow, the Padfone is available for pre order! It’s going to ship on April 20th. This is great news for the rest of the world because it means we are getting closer to seeing the Padfone being announced in other countries, most likely starting with Europe.
Here are the details that we know:
- Taiwan is getting the Padfone first, but following countries include European countries, Germany, Singapore, and Hong Kong will “follow shortly”. No release dates specified for those countries but they are up next!
- Prices, not on contract are NT$17,990 (US$610) for just the smartphone, NT$24,980 (US$850) for the smartphone, tablet and bluetooth stylus which doubles as a headset, and NT$28,901 (US$980) for the whole package including the keyboard dock. A contract price (subsidized) in other countries will obviously have the Padfone priced much much lower. If you look at any smartphones to buy outright, you will see the pricing of the Padfone is about average in that regard.
- Chungwa Telecom and Senao International in Taiwan will be selling the Padfone.
- Padfone owners will get 32GB of Asus Webstorage for 3 years (that must mean free but it doesn’t specify in the press release).
- Asus is so excited about the launch of the Padfone they are throwing in an extra battery for those who pre order it. Not sure if that same deal will apply with other countries when it’s in pre order phase but we can only hope!
A quick recap of the Padfone specs:
- 4.3” smartphone featuring a Super AMOLED qHD
display, the latest Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 dual core 1.5GHz processor, an ultra-
sharp 8-megapixel digital camera with Fuji image processor, F/2.2 aperture, and a 5-element lens
- 10.1” tablet with up to 63 hours of extended talk time. The Padfone offers unmatched versatility via ASUS’ proprietary DynamicDisplay technology which allows seamless transition between the Padfone and Padfone Station display screens.
- the Padfone Station offers an optional keyboard dock that essentially turns the Padfone into an ultraportable computing device, with an extended talk time of up to 102 hours.
- the Padfone Stylus Headset which is a Bluetooth stylus pen that transforms into a
headset for picking up calls easily.
With this breaking news, we expect to be tweeting new details in the coming days and or weeks about other countries Padfone pre order status.